Innovation in the construction of the San Mames stadium is a reality, but... what makes it a modern and innovative facility? Find out more.
Why innovation in the construction of the San Mames stadium is a reality
- The aim of the building’s design is to preserve and improve the current atmosphere of stadium-filling sound from the songs of the Athletic fans.
- As well as football stadium, it has other facilities, such as a sports medicine unit, an underground athletics centre, an Olympic-sized swimming pool and areas for events and conferences in Bilbao.
- It is the safest stadium in Europe. It was designed to adapt to new safety regulations and meet the seating capacity requirement for fans.
- Its integration into the urban fabric stands out.
- Its phased construction meant that one end of the stadium remained open for a season.
- The halls were devised as open areas with a high degree of ventilation, where the design of the panels on the façade offers protection from atmospheric elements.
- The design has made it possible to reduce the requirements for air conditioning and fire protection, with consequent cost savings and reduced installation times.
- The high use of recycled and locally sourced materials has allowed the building's environmental footprint to be significantly reduced, and there has also been a reduction of harmful particles in the air through the use of environmentally-friendly materials.
- In addition, there have been savings in lighting and water.
Awards and recognitions certifying innovation in the construction of the San Mames stadium
- Best sports building in the world at the World Architecture Festival 2015.
- The roof of the San Mames Stadium, designed by the engineering firm Idom, was rewarded at the International Structural Awards.
- First European ground to receive LEED sustainable building certification.
- The work on the new roof, carried out by Inbisa Construcción, was awarded as the best façade and roof structure at the 3rd ACHE Association Engineering Awards.
- The safest stadium in Europe as it is the only one to have obtained UNE 179.003 certification for patient safety.
- Best stadiun in the world at the World Football Summit, the global congress on the football industry.
Let’s talk about …